Serving as a Personal Representative for an estate is an honor but it can also be a scary and stressful experience. Being prepared and educated can help this experience go as smoothly as possible.
This guide was created to assist you with the settlement of an estate. While it provides a detailed overview of the process, you should still seek professional advice. Estates are as unique as the loved ones who have passed on, and there is not a one-size-fits-all approach.
Step-by-Step Guide to Settling an Estate
Here's what we will help you learn and understand:
- What is a Personal Representative?
- ATB's role, and the role of a lawyer and accountant
- Making arrangements and gathering information
- Identifying assets and liabilities
- Probating a will and other letters of administration
- Filing final tax returns and paying debts
- Distributing remaining assets
- Preparing a final summary
- *Executor Checklist* - to help you cover all aspects of administration of the estate.
Please feel free to download and print a PDF version of this document should you wish to use it to make notes.